Monday, June 23, 2014

DAY 001: Politics Schmolitics: Karl Rove



This was the animation that started the Bateman365, a project where I made an animated thing a day for a year. Oh, such humble beginnings for a project that would change my life.

Since I was transitioning from being a print political cartoonist to a web animator, it makes sense I would start with politics. Luckily, I would soon turn to more pressing topics.

The style: for the first several Bateman365 animations, I drew line drawings on paper, colored them in with colored pencils, then scanned them in and digitized them in Flash, which produced the weird color effects you see here. Luckily, this eventually goes away, too.

2 comments:

  1. Arrrgh!! I can't get it to work correctly from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, Flash and iPhones do not mix.

    The original Flash .fla files for these animations were lost years ago, and now all I have are the output, the .swf files. And it's basically impossible to convert a .swf to Quicktime while keeping the sound intact. And since I can't convert these old .swf files to Quicktime, I can't simply put them on YouTube. Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook don't do .swf files anymore either, so I'm stuck with posting these old school, on a blog.

    Sorry about any inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete